Friday 18 September 2009

Training Time v's Study Time

Well after deciding to return home instead going to Yeovil and visiting family as study was far more important I also had to make the decision what would happen with my training over the weekend. Instead of the scheduled 2hr bike and 5k swim session I opted for another Stapleford and hoped to improve on my previous winning time of 46 mins. With the duathlon being only a short sharp effort of 3k/12k/3k and this week being the handicap race where anyone can win I knew it was going to require a lot of work especially with Pinky back on the standard after a few good performances on the Long Distance Course.

Starting 14 minutes after the first runner; the four chasers including Pinky, myself and Granty set of at a fast pace. in fact within 1k Granty had pulled me away from the pack and we were looking to chase down the runners that were just 2 minutes ahead on the road. His running style is similar to mine, a relaxed almost too comfortable posture which had me wondering if he was toying with me. 11min later and we are getting ready for the bike set and know that before long Pinky will be going for his av 19.1mph around the course. It is not until almost half way around at Norton Disney that we all change places, passing Granty but also being passed by Pinky riding 3 a breast. I have never worked so hard on the bike and having the TT back was a big help.

As we changed places every minute or so pushing each other along the banter began again. Clearly Pinky wasn't working hard enough. With the fast Simon George on our heels we had to keep the pace high and hold on. With 3 of us entering transition at the same time and only slightly up on the Field (the girls were still ahead) I upped the pace and caught Maddy and was hunting for the last couple including Judith and Anna Saunders, having taken Steves scalp last time I was looking forward to getting another Saunders. With every turn I looked over my shoulder to see if Si was catching me and soon realised that I was clear by 30 secs and possibly enough to catch the three girls in front. Unfortunately Old man Saunder, ruined the surprise attack and warned them of my approach in the last 200m which left me as First Male and 4th overall in a new Pb of 45:55.

Returning home for some study before a quick swim with Jon and then more study on Sunday before returning to Cosford for the last week of the course. However the training hasn't stopped there as I continued with all the training prior to Barcelona. Monday morning rising at 6 for a 8k treadmill run was not my idea of fun and then again on Wednesday, I must have a screw loose. All I can say is the easy turbo sessions on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday made up for all the discomfort as I enjoyed some classic rock ballads and waking the rest of the block to the sound of a broken washing machine.

This is only light work compared to the pool sessions of the last week. Tuesday 5k of 10x400's on 5:45. Wednesday 5k of bilateral breathing every 3,5,7 Hard including 5x100 IM just to make sure I can breath through my backside prior to racing in 2 weeks. Finishing yesterday with another 5k of hard swimming. My back is sore and my shoulders are tight, however with the improvement of my swimming I can feel for the water and straight away know when I am taking it easy.

I just hope for calm seas and an easy 57, before watching Pullin and our new team member working hard in the sun. Me and the super suit (pictured) have the easy part!!

2 comments:

  1. 57??? I've told everyone you're on for a sub 55!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are doing 10 x 400m on 5:45 you should be sub 52!!!!!! No pressure!

    ReplyDelete