Sunday 19 July 2009

National Aquathlon Champs 09

I have had problems with my back all week after moving the nozzles of a Harrier GR9. And with all the help from the doctor and Massages of Maddy, on Friday I was thinking of pulling out of the Wales trip.

I am glad I didn't though.

With the race starting at 10 (I know a lay in for a triathlete) a 750m swim followed with a fast 5k run. I was hoping for sub 30 mins but struggled to get out of the wetsuit in the short run to transition and then slipped on my arse. The new Erox suit is great and easy to spot. It is also easy to remove in T1 with very little effort. Slipping into the new trainers I set of after the front runners who included Si Almond fresh after his Inter services 10:14 800m swim the weekend before. Well I was in pain and not running comfortably with the back stiff. As the course was a 2 lap run I was able to just about make out the front runners who had destroyed the field and pulled way ahead of everyone else. I was loosing ground and soon passed by a group of runners from the younger AG's going like a train. Plodding on I managed to finish in a respectable low time with the blustery conditions on the day.

I wasn't expecting anything really from the competition, and quickly showered and changed to assist with the refereeing of the Elite Female and Male sprint races. Jodie Stimpson did really well to pull away from a close field whilst the Male race included 2004 Olympian Marc "Jinx" Jenkins (the helmet Violator) pushing hard to catch the run away winner Aaron Harris. Between both races was the aquathlon prize giving and as I carried out my duties before the next race I heard Si Almond announced as National Aquathlon Champ in the 20-24 AG which he even wasn't expecting as he was on his way home. Then out of the blue in "3rd place, Mike Masters". I know even I was shocked! This is the first time I have finished on the podium in a national event. I really enjoyed the day and it gave me the chance to catch up with many of the faces from the NGB that I have worked with over the past few years.

Next event is the Inter services at Sherborne in 10 then 10 after that is Prague for the European Champs. Before returning to Referee the Dextro World Series at London's Hyde Park which will host the most competitive field since the Olympics as Alister Brownlee goes in search of his 4th victory in the 8 event series.

Sunday 8th August Channel 4 British Triathlon Super Series 8am (see if you can spot me)

A quick review of the new suit

Fast in the water, easy to get out of it, I love it! If you don't get one your only going to give me more time to defend on the bike and run.

1 comment: