Sunday 30 August 2009

Stapleford Duathlon and Bike Dilema

I have had a long week at Cosford at ATSC formerly know as TMT. PowerPoint presentations all week interspersed with a few exercises using plastic tubes. The main problem I have had is the gym. They will not let me train in the morning before work as they class me as a trainee. I am in the eyes of the RAF supposed to be able to manage my time and be an example to men, so not letting me in the gym unless it's between the hours of 6am and 9pm winds me up.

Never mind, I was able to get my frustrations out at this weeks Stapleford Duathlon. A 3k, 15k, 3k event organised by Newark Tri club most weeks in the woods near Newark. Fantastic really especially as the event has so many options available from short, standard to long. 10 points for the win and then descending on place. Not my fastest time but then not my worst.

The first 3k I plodded around in 00:11:34 which surprisingly is the same time I manage to complete the first run in every time this year give or take a few seconds. High Fiving Henry and then giving his dad a little push through transition on his bike I didn't realise I was in 2nd and racing for the win until the finish.

00:23:44 is not the quickest time on the bike for ages. In fact I think Fish holds that record this year with a 21:38. This is the first time I raced on the roadie. I can certainly feel the difference, I thought I was never going to catch Steve Saunders. Normally I catch him at the foot of the hill not the top. So straight away I knew it was going to be a tough competition come the final run.

Well I managed to remove the 22 sec lead Steve had and replace it with 22 secs more in front. As we made the turn he was only 3 secs behind and running like a train. Lots of Puffing! as he closed in on me I managed to open out and regain valuable metres. As we turned in the finish straight, I could feel his heavy breathing on my shoulder and decided on one more push to victory with the final 3k in 00:12:01. In a total time of 00:47:19

This has to be the hardest and closest run race. With only 2 secs between me and Steve, which now only leaves 2 points between us as we go into the final 2 races. Next show down will be on the 12th September a week after the vit, lets hope the handicap race is fair. I wouldn't want Saunders gaining to many points as I look for a max of 45 and a top 5 in the league. My Pb for this season should be enough to get the points. 00:45:42

(4th) 11th July 00:11:25/00:23:14/00:12:02 T 00:46:41
(3rd)22nd July 00:11:34/ 00:22:16/ 00:12:13 T 00:46:03

Now the Dilemma
I want another bike! I want a single speed for the winter! Which one? I have been looking at the Boardman and the Felt Dispatch. Please help me decide. Just click the images for more
Information. The Boardman comes with 48:18 whilst the Felt is delivered with a 39:16

2 comments:

  1. Not the Felt - the chainrings are on the wrong side of the bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I picked up a used Langster for about 170 quid last year, use it to commute to work when the weather is bad and have had no problems with it. Doug Malcolm

    ReplyDelete